Find out about regional development projects that have been completed or are underway in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia. Information on funding programs currently available is also provided here.
Funding allocated in 2010-11
Funding allocated – State budget
$120.2million of State Budget funding has been allocated to regional development projects in the Wheatbelt region for 2010-11.
Highlights for the Wheatbelt region include:
- $64million spent on upgrading and building new schools, including $11.2million for staff and students
- Accommodation upgrades for Agricultural Colleges in the Region and $1.9million for Merredin Senior High School
- $23million for the construction of the Lancelin to Cervantes road section, Stage 2 of Indian Ocean Drive
- $17million on various water supply and wastewater projects
- $10million to complete the Collgar Wind Farm Connection
- $2.7million for the construction of Trade Training Centres at Merredin and Northam Senior High Schools
- $2million to establish pilot facilities in Merredin and Katanning to evaluate genetically modified-based food crops
- $1.5million to redevelop Merredin Residential College.
Source: Budget Regional Highlights 2010-11 (available in Statistics section).
Funding allocated through Royalties for Regions
More than $56.9million of Royalties for Regions
funding has been allocated to regional development projects in the Wheatbelt region for 2010-11.
Regional development projects
Regional Grants Scheme
The Regional Grants Scheme is an initiative of Royalties for Regions
that aims to improve economic and community infrastructure and services in regional Western Australia.
The funding is provided to assist infrastructure, services and community projects, including the provision of headworks, and to assist in the broad development of the community.
Grants and funding available
There is a range of funding programs currently available through the Royalties for Regions
initiative, including the:
- Country local government fund
- Regional grants scheme
- Boarding away from home allowance
- Country age pension fuel card
- Exploration incentive scheme
- Patient assisted travel allowance
- Regional airport development scheme
Wheatbelt regional development contacts
If you have a query related to regional development in the Wheatbelt region, please contact the Department of Regional Development and Lands or the Wheatbelt Development Commission. Details are provided in Wheatbelt Contacts