Find out about regional investment and development projects that have been completed or are underway in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Information on funding programs currently available is also provided here.
Funding allocated in 2010-11
Funding allocated – State budget
$298.1million of State Budget funding has been allocated to regional development projects in the Kimberley Region for 2010-11.
Highlights for the Kimberley region include:
- $100-million for the West Kimberley Regional Prison and Workcamp
- $95.5million under Royalties for Regions for the Ord River Scheme Stage 2
- $25million on the Kununurra State Education Precinct
- $11.5million for health facilities as part of the East Kimberley Development Package
- $9.8million on construction of the Broome Wastewater Treatment Plant
- $9million for the Kimberley TAFE Ord River Stage 2
- $6million to commence redevelopment of the Kununurra Courthouse
- $6million for new acute inpatient mental health unit at Broome Regional Resource Centre
- $5.8million on the Fitzroy Crossing Police Station
- $5.8million for the Wyndham Port Facility Upgrade
- $5million for the construction of Broome Boating Facility-Stage 1, funded by Royalties for Regions
- $5million for the Broome Paediatrics Facility
- $4.2million to finalise reconstruction of the Bow River Section of the Great Northern Highway
- $3.6million to finalise the planning and design of Kununurra Heavy Haulage Route
- $3.1million for the Looma Remote Multi Functional Police Facility
- $2.8million for the Kimberley TAFE Fitzroy Crossing Training Centre.
Source: Budget Regional Highlights 2010-11 (available in Statistics section).
Funding allocated through Royalties for Regions
More than $146.6million of Royalties for Regions
funding has been allocated to regional development projects in the Kimberley Region for 2010-11.
Regional development projects
Ord-East Kimberley Expansion
The Ord-East Kimberley Expansion Project is a major State Government election commitment that will contribute to the successful development of Australia’s North and the transformation of Kununurra into a sustainable regional centre. The $415million investment has two components:
- East Kimberley Development Package (EKDP) – $195million from the Commonwealth Government, of which the WA State Government will deliver $177.9million of projects
- Ord Irrigation Expansion Project (OIEP) – $220million from the Western Australian Government’s Royalties for Regions fund.
Grants and funding available
There is a range of funding programs currently available through the Royalties for Regions
- Country local government fund
- Regional grants scheme
- Boarding away from home allowance
- Country age pension fuel card
- Exploration incentive scheme
- Patient assisted travel allowance
- Regional airport development scheme.
Kimberley regional development contacts
If you have a query related to regional development in the Kimberley region, please contact the Department of Regional Development and Lands or the Kimberley Development Commission. Details are provided in Kimberley Contacts